North Shore Plan
Hale‘iwa Store Lots is part of the Kamehameha Schools’ North Shore Master Plan that began in 2006 and was completed in March 2008, following significant input and consultation with the community and public agencies. In fact, more than 30 community groups, including kūpuna (elders), local farmers, business owners, community associations, schools and churches chimed in to help mold the future vision of the North Shore community.
Kamehameha Schools owns approximately 26,000 acres of land in the Waialua district. As such, its kuleana (responsibility) to care for these lands and people into perpetuity is taken seriously. The North Shore plan calls for the implementation of seven catalyst projects:
- Loko Ea Fishpond Restoration
- Agricultural Water System Improvements
- Renewable Energy Development
- Matsumoto Area Redevelopment (Today’s Hale‘iwa Store Lots)
- Hale‘iwa Town Center Commercial Development
- Hale‘iwa Residential Village and Outlying Residential Development
- Sustainability Institute
The completion of Hale‘iwa Store Lots in 2015 was a significant milestone for the Kamehameha Schools North Shore Plan. The highly visible, reinvigorated retail area serves as an important hub for the community. The new and improved structures, sidewalks and open spaces are a source of pride for all who call the North Shore home and a treat for those who visit.
About Kamehameha Schools
Founded in 1887 by the legacy of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop, Kamehameha Schools (KS) is a private, educational, charitable trust committed to improving the capability and well-being of Native Hawaiian people through education. KS envisions a thriving lāhui where learners, grounded in Christian and Hawaiian values, grow into ʻōiwi leaders who inspire and contribute to their communities, both locally and globally.” For more information, visit www.ksbe.edu and connect via Facebook and Instagram (@kamehamehaschools) and Twitter (@ksnews).